Auditions for the 2017 competition will be:
Saturday March 25 – 9:00 am – 5:00 pm or Sunday, March 26 – Noon- 5:00 pm
Vocalists that are not pre-registered will be scheduled on a first come first served basis. Bring a recent photograph of yourself and be ready to sing!
Congratulations on your decision to audition for Hoosier STAR 2017. We are thrilled to have you, and wish you luck! Please review the following information regarding details for your audition performance.
- YOU WILL NEED TO BRING A PHOTO OF YOURSELF FOR THE JUDGES TO USE FOR CONTESTANT RECOGNITION DURING THEIR SELECTION The photo will not be returned and does not need to be a professional headshot.
- You may arrive up to but no earlier than 30 minutes before your audition time slot. Anyone arriving any earlier than 30 minutes before your scheduled audition will be asked to wait outside of the building. If you would like to arrive earlier to check in and come back at your time, this is welcomed. The theater is located just outside of the downtown area and is close in proximity to food, antique, and shopping locations.
- You may bring up to, but no more than, two people along with you for support. Additional guests will be asked to wait outside of the building due to the small size of the audition venue.
- Arrive at the La Porte Little Theatre at 218 A St. in La Porte and enter the front doors. You will check in at the box office window which is located just inside the front doors.
- Here you will sign your release (if you registered on-line), receive your audition number and be directed as far as where you can wait.
- Be aware there is no space for warm up as this can unsteady other performers and interrupt audition focus. Do prepare for your performance before arriving.
- When you have finished your audition, you and any guests will not be allowed to stay to watch further auditions.
- All auditions will be reviewed and scored on point scale systems in an unbiased and ethical fashion. All finalists, including an alternate in each division, will be contacted within 10 days by phone. Finalists who do not make the cut will be contacted within 15 days by email.
- Please make sure to respect all fellow performers and guests by keeping cell phones turned off, keeping public displays of affection to a minimum (hugs for support are very appropriate), and by keeping talking to a minimum and quiet.
- Any display of aggression or intimidation, overt or implicit, toward other performers, guests, or judges will not be accepted. This behavior by you or any one of your guests will result in immediate expulsion from the audition process and venue. No refund of registration fee will be given.
- A copy of these expectations will be given to you to sign upon arrival.
Hoosier STAR prides itself on promoting community ideals and principles of inclusion. We have, and continue to adapt the audition process each year to address any and all concerns that have been expressed or identified. We aim to make the audition experience as amazing as you are, and we hope you appreciate our dedication to making this process fair and enjoyable for all.
Please do not hesitate to call me directly at 219-851-3325, or the LCSO Office directly at (219) 362.9020 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding these guidelines.
Hoosier STAR 2017 Chairperson
From the audition, 10 finalists will prepare for the chance to participate in a competition on Saturday, September 9, 2017 at the La Porte Civic Auditorium, 1001 Ridge Street, La Porte, Indiana. These selected finalists will be accompanied by members of the La Porte County Symphony, led by their energetic music director Philip Bauman. It promises to be a program that is entertaining and full of surprises. Dreams are fulfilled as contestants perform in this exciting competition where entertaining musical performances unfold. Maestro Bauman and the orchestra work diligently to bring out the star qualities of each contestant.
The winners of the September competition win prize money, but it doesn’t come easy as it is the audience in attendance September 10th that determines the winners. The top finishers in the Adult Division will receive cash awards of $1,000 for first place and $500 for second place. The top winners in the Youth Division will receive cash awards of $500 for first place and $250 for second place.
- You may audition separately as a solo and a duet, HOWEVER, any person/s will ONLY be selected to compete as a soloist OR a duet finalist.
- There must be a separate application and fee for each audition if you choose to audition as a soloist and duet.
- Hoosier STAR 2017 Rules (PDF)
Download Forms and Bring in Application to audition
Hoosier STAR details singers need to know
- WHAT: Hoosier STAR, a statewide vocal competition, is a benefit performance to raise funds for the La Porte County Symphony Orchestra’s educational programs. Amateur singers of all musical types will compete for prizes. Auditions are to determine finalists to compete for cash prizes for the winners of the September 9, 2017 event where the audience will choose the winners.
- WHO: Contestants must be a resident of the state of Indiana or Southwest Michigan.
- WHEN: March 25, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm & March 26, Noon – 5:00 pm CDT
- WHERE: La Porte Little Theatre, 218 A Street, La Porte, Indiana 46350
- HOW: Preregister for a time slot with a $20 audition fee payable online